June 25, 2009

Wurlitzer Jukebox!

My two favourite bassists in history are Andy Rourke of The Smiths and Philip Moxham of Young Marble Giants. When deciding which YMG songs to put on my All-Time Favourite Basslines List, I initially just wrote "all of Colossal Youth" (which is an album). Then I narrowed it down to just one song: "Wurlitzer Jukebox!"

This song in particular exemplifies some great aspects of Phil's playing. It opens with a mad bass lead and then segues perfectly into some simple bouncy background stuff. To me, he always seems to perfectly balance all his roles in a song; as melody player, rhythm player, and harmony player.

For my presentation of this track, I started by plugging a pattern into this drum program, the rhythm rascal. Sadly, this program is designed for hard rock, and sounds pretty bad in general. So I decided to put the pattern in backwards, record it, then flip the whole thing backwards again using Audacity. (Audacity is a free recording program I'm using. You can really do a surprising amount of things with it.) In other words, you hear the alternating bass and snare sounds in order, but the sounds themselves are backwards. I played the melody on a bass instead of singing it, since this is after all an exploration of the dark underbelly of this unappreciated instrument.

You can hear the end result, with full instrumentation, here.
You can hear the bassline on its own here.

(You will have to scroll down and download them.)

Keep in mind that the sound is never gonna be perfect because this is the microphone I'm using:




2 comments:

Zewz said...

I really enjoyed that. Keep up the stellar work, sire. And thank you also for the live performance. Looking forward to the next one (back in your head yes yes). And now that I know you still exist I'll keep checking back. So there.

Bish said...

Alright, Back in your head it is. What's the weirdo percussion they use on that song? I heard that it's like a container of chocolate-covered almonds or something! Chris Walla must've lost his tambourine in a poker game earlier in the week or something.